Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday, Monday

Well, it's Day 2 of my new blog life...Not much different, except that I found myself sometimes thinking about what I would write about this evening.  The conclusion is that the simplest is to write about what I'm currently thinking, doing, experiencing (no brainer).

I'm busy lately doing lots of internet-related stuff, which for someone of my generation may or may not be simple.  I recently created the website for my small company (www.mediterraneoresortwear.com) and that was a feat for me.  My daughter Jacqueline found me the means to do it, and while I won't say it was "easy," I can say that if I can do it....

Next, I came upon an article in The New York Times that mentioned a way to create a magazine online.  That was a revelation.  I plunged in and now have a new publication that I hope someone will see....there's a link at the bottom of this blog to take you to it (Mediterraneo Resort Wear - The Magzine).  In another life, I'd always wanted to be in magazine publishing - now somehow in a small, small way, I can be.  That, to me, is the magic of the web.

Today, I've been out at our homeowners' association clubhouse to look at the books in the library.  When we moved in last year, I donated about a hundred books, so today I went to see what they had that I could borrow - or keep.  Lots of books on offer; God, for a reader the difficult thing is never having enough time to read everything you want to.  There's an old "Twilight Zone" episode from the late fifties (I think) in which a bespeckled man who loves to read is always complaining about not having enough time to read because life gets in the way. Some kind of nuclear explosion (the big bugaboo of the 50s) takes place, leaving him as the only man on earth...he wanders around until he finds the New York Public Library - that marvelous bastion of learning.  He starts stacking books in great piles because now he can read all he wants without interruption...Except that he stumbles, falls, and his glasses break.  Now, he has all the time in the world, but he's unable to read!  Be careful what you wish for...

Anyway, more contemporary things from TV found their way into my consciousness yesterday and today:  Here in South Florida the news is always weird, strange or at the very least interesting.  It's never a dull moment for the local news folks.  Case in point:  A man shot to death on the 11th floor of a Miami Beach hotel on Saturday night.  A strange smell and vapors emanating from the hotel....The police evacuate the 1000 people at the hotel (including the guests at a wedding reception, and those attending a speaking engagement by the Prime Minister of Belize).  Hazmat was called  in.  The vapors dissipated, so they couldn't tell what the smell/vapor was and so everyone back inside at 3:00 AM.  And the murder victim:  police aren't releasing his name, circumstances or anything else about that incident....See what I mean?  Interesting.

Next, a man goes to relieve himself in the woods in the Everglades (believe me, it's the middle of nowhere).  What does he find?  Human remains.  The bones of some poor individual who was apparently dumped there by a murderer. Stay tuned.

Finally, a nice story: Video of a HUGE grouper fish off the coast of Florida.  The video captured a diver near the fish, so that we could gauge the size of the fish.  Suffice it to say that he would feed an entire village.  And, he was cute and non-threatening.

And, elsewhere on TV:  The horror that is "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" (the horror!).  Bravo has outdone itself with this show.  I can't look away.  On the other hand, still in reality-land, the hit show "Deadliest Catch" is fantastic.  I find myself thinking about poor Captain Phil Harris, who died early last year (although we're seeing the denouement unfold this season).  It's true drama and has made me feel like I know this man.  Those crab fishermen do a very dangerous job indeed and many of them seem to have rather complicated home lives as well.  Anyone who watched at least a season of "Deadliest Catch" must be engaged by this riveting show and the people it brings into our living rooms.  I add my condolences to those of thousands of others, to the Harris family.    

Let's see what tomorrow brings....Thanks for reading.

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: