Sunday, June 27, 2010

My First Post - Sunday June 27th...

This is my first posting in my first-ever blog. I've been thinking about it for a year or so, thinking about jumping into the blogosphere...but of course, for anyone my age, there's a fear factor. Well, that's over now.

I'm calling it "Fifties Chic" because I was born in the 1950s and I'm in my 50s, and yes, I'm chic (not always...).

Blogging is for oneself after all - a way of writing a journal - but most of all it's to entertain an audience. I hope to be entertaining or at least intriguing. I'll be writing about things that capture my attention in the day's news, things that touch me, fashion, travel, family - anything.

Today, Roger (my significant other) and I went out to dinner. That's noteworthy because we dine out less often than we used to due to the state of our personal economy - which is bad. We enjoy dining out, but we also understand that we still have much more than others who are out there not just without jobs, but also without homes and the basic necessities of life. We remind ourselves often that even though our situation is not good, we are blessed compared to many others. I like to keep a sense of perspective.

As a matter of fact, today is the anniversary of our having moved into our home. Neither of us had been homeowners until last year. It's a step we took after much soul-searching, but our home makes us very happy. Other than our love for each other, this is the one thing that keeps us going, I think through these tough times.

Today is also significant because I took a step toward bringing production of our fashion line to the US. With so many people out of work here, it's the right time (and the right thing) to do this. But (there's always a "but") since our company is tiny-tiny, we have to keep costs down and trying to source fabrics and manufacturers of small quantities isn't easy. Our idea is to design the prettiest, easiest-to-wear natural-fiber tops we can. They are destined for women of varying sizes and ages and made to fit into a closet that already holds many pants, jeans and skirts. Some of the tops can go over a swimsuit for double-duty. Others are office-ready. All of them make a woman look good because they accentuate the positive.

Getting a brand off the ground isn't an easy challenge, but we're willing to fight it out. Of course, it would be easier if one of us won the lottery. We think we know what we'd do then...

Well, that's all for tonight. I hope you find my posts interesting...I'll be commenting on TV shows I like, magazines, books, movies, fashions, business, my multi-ethnic family, etc. etc. Perhaps you'll find something to connect with. Look forward to hearing from you.

Angela




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: