Saturday, August 14, 2010

Magazine Advertising: Looking Good




Magazines and I have a long history.  A love story, really.  Since the age of 13, I’ve been a faithful reader of fashion magazines.  To those, I gradually added décor magazines, lifestyle magazines, current affairs magazines, business magazines, and a “Psychology Today” or two. 

My heart is with the fashion and lifestyle magazines, though.  Vogue, Elle, Harper’s Bazaar, Glamour, Town & Country, Marie Claire….It’s a cornucopia of fabulous editorial features and ads that come to me via both subscription and newsstand.  I have yet to get over the thrill of receiving the latest issue of one of my magazines, or for that matter, of wanting to peruse the magazine section at Barnes and Noble.

I love the ads; they’re fully half the reason any woman picks up a magazine in the first place.  Editorial selections tell us what the publication’s editors want us to see and aspire to.  Ads tell us what’s out there – much of which we may not be able to acquire – but which we covet.  Other than for emotional reasons, I love the ads for business reasons:  I admire the way the advertising industry gets us to covet those goods, and as an entrepreneur, I’m always on the lookout for good ideas. 

In leafing through some of my August magazines (and one September issue), I’ve thrilled at what I think are some great print ads.   Here are my selections:
I love this simple image: getting across the message that the green mud (“Fango”) goes on your body. 


This girl is on the move, and to me the photography showcases the looks she’s wearing for Blumarine.


  





I love the blurry movement behind the models, and I love the richness of the colors and prints.









It never hurts to pay homage to current tastes; this model is totally reminiscent of the “Joan Holloway” character on Mad Men.  Fabulous.


The blouse is gorgeous, the bag is great, and this one photo also sells the brand’s perfume and makeup (subliminally).

 The always clean, usually-product-only photography that makes Clinique a classic.  Love the image.



High fashion, stark and exquisitely posed.



























The model of the moment, Dominican Arlenis Sosa.  Simple, clean and sexy.  Good pairing of product and model. 


What’s not to love?  The actress, the lion cubs, the jewelry, the bag.   Beautifully styled. 

‘Til next time.  


1 comment:

  1. That Bulgari ad is really gorgeous... But Julianne's thigh is obviously photoshopped!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: